Officers, Members & Guests Present: Matt Sloan, Ben Kadel, Irene Sadowski, Jeff Goldstein, Clarence Cameron, Bob Lockhart, Annette Czarnecki, Lara Valigorsky, Rob Harrington, Bonnie Schmidt, Kyle Richmond, Jodi Wortsman, Amy Turner, Rosemary Brothers, Darwin Carpenter, Betty Carpenter, Maureen Quinlan, Chris Wagner, Jane Smith, Kirk Elliott, Steven Davis, Candace Pantoga, Jennifer Zahn, Jim Winkle, Gary Amburn, Judy Amburn, Nick Glass, MJ Baumann, and all sorts of children!
Potluck & Recognition Ceremony:
· Over thirty people attended a potluck and no one brought dessert. Egad!
· BCNA honored two recipients for their immense contributions to the neighborhood this evening: Marge Colson and Ben Kadel. Congratulations and *thank you* to all people who make Bay Creek such a great place to live.
· Also thanks to Nick Glass and MJ Baumann for sharing their re-usable plates, cups and utensils. Go EcoTeams.
The meeting began at 7:00 pm after a hearty hour-long food fest.
Facilitator: Judy Amburn
Minute Taker: Jennifer Zahn
· $1948.51 total in our account
· $623.96 in membership
· $393.85 in newsletter
· $245.24 in signage
· $85.45 in web site
· $600 in community grant (Lunch Buddy/Mentor program)
Shared news and information about the following organizations, documents and events:
· Safe Community Coalitions ‘02 Traffic Safety Action Planning Meeting is on Tuesday, January 15, 6:30-8:30 pm at the United Way Center on Atwood Avenue.
· Agenda & minutes of the South Madison Neighborhoods Steering Committee
· February/March newsletter - early February distribution.
· April/May issue - March 8th story deadline.
· Looking for articles complete with photos and drawings. 500 word maximum.
· Send info to Kirk Elliott or Chris Wagner (if little to no editing necessary).
· Looking for a layout person. Currently used software is Quark, but PageMaker, Word or your preferred software okay!
· Requested funds from membership account to cover partial brochure costs. Best quote (out of six companies surveyed) came from the Park Street InstyPrints. MOTION (Kyle Richmond): Approve up to $500.00 from membership fund with the stipulation that welcome chair will apply for SMPC funds and request sponsorship support from InstyPrints. SECOND (Rose Brothers). Unanimous approval.
· A new recognition process will be instituted this year whereby Bay Creek folks may nominate neighbors or neighborhood contributors for special recognition at the annual potluck. Nominations will be taken online, in writing through a newsletter form and at meetings. Finalized process details available in March. Send suggestions to <email@example.com>.
· EcoTeams Introduction is Thursday, January 24th, 6:30 pm at St. Mark’s, 605 Spruce Street. All are welcome!
· JZ is not allowed to move, no matter what the job or grad school program offers. Majority approval. One opposed.
MOTION (Jeff Goldstein). SECOND (Ben Kadel). Unanimous approval.
· Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, January 22nd, 7:30 pm, St. Mark’s, 605 Spruce Street.
· Correction on Beld Street Bridge: *planning* will begin summer 2002; replacement will occur summer 2003.
· There is potential for community garden plots in the open landscape area of Triangle Neighborhood.
· Wingra Creek Stabilization update: City funding passed this year on this 10-year old proposal. Five-year funding approval will begin this year by revisiting & updating the plan.
· County Board Forum for our new district 27 will be held Tuesday, February 12, 2002 at 7:00 pm in the Baha’i Center, 324 W Lakeside Street. All candidates will appear. Bring your questions!
· Community garden plots will eventually be available in Quann Park. Get involved in the planning by attending the Tuesday, January 15th meeting, 7 pm at Baha’i Center.
· Next meeting will have council elections. All positions are up for election, incumbents may run again. Known openings include: treasurer, secretary, Welcome committee chair.
· Lunch Buddy / Mentor Grant Project at Franklin School: Contact Bonnie Schmidt: <firstname.lastname@example.org> or call 259-0666: Franklin is a K-2 school and in need of a diverse group of adults, especially men, to serve as mentors and lunch buddies. Mentor is a minimum two-year commitment to a child, meeting once a week and doing an activity. Lunch buddy meets once a week with a group of children at a lunch table. Grant funds can buy your lunch or help with transportation costs, if needed. Get involved with this fun and meaningful activity.
MOTION (Jennifer Zahn): Extend the meeting for another 15 minutes. SECOND (Chris Wagner). Unanimous approval.
SMPC Report (usually under ‘committee’ section) <email@example.com>
· South Madison Neighborhood Plan Steering Committee held a public forum meeting last Thursday, January 10th - over 60 people attended to discuss their likes and potential changes to Bay Creek, Burr Oaks, BANA and Capitol Heights neighborhoods. The group meets every other Thursday, with locations changing between Lincoln School and Baha’i Center. Open to all! Next meeting Thursday, February 7; the meeting after that will be Thursday, February 28 (2/14 meeting moved due to scheduling conflicts; after the 28th, it will be back on an every other week schedule).
· Park Street Revitalization Effort. A city grant was awarded to develop urban design guidelines for Park Street. This will start in February/March 2002. We will also be announcing the Park Street Project Management Team (PMT) in the next month or so (hopefully). The PMT is a coalition of institutions who have agreed to take on the job of realizing the vision laid out in the Park Street Plan and will include people from the City, Town, County, UW, DOT, Community Groups, Neighborhood Groups, and Local Businesses.
· SMPC is also looking for people to join work-study groups in housing, transit and urban design.
· Looking for a Bay Creek liaison to temporarily (six months) fill in at SMPC rep. Come to the elections and vote for your favored candidate!
Facilitator: Kirk Elliott on February 11, 2002 (ANNUAL ELECTIONS), 6:30 pm, Baha’i Center, 324 W Lakeside Street. Attend so you can run for a position and/or vote/nominate your favored candidate!
The meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm.